+358 (0)40 590 7290
- PhD of Education 2009, University of Lapland
- Licentiate of Education 2005, University of Lapland
Third culture kids in Finnish educational system
The purpose of the research is to investigate the identities of the third culture kids who have moved to Finland or were born in here. The main research question is: How the third culture kids are defining their identity?
In this research The Third Culture Kid (TCK) is a definition for individuals who have spent at least part of their childhood in cultures other than their own inherited one. TCKs are raised in a different culture than in which their parents´ and families lived and grow up in. TCKs moved or were born in a different country or/and culture before they have had the opportunity to fully develop their personal and cultural identity. The aim is to clarify how the family´s background and culture together with the surrounding culture and its different societal contexts, such as education, are affecting individual’s identity. The research group of the study includes children and adults. The study is a mixed methods research, using qualitative content analysis and approaches of quantitative survey research.
- Paksuniemi, M., Keskitalo, P. & Turunen, T. 2015. (Accepted) Coping with Separation in Childhood –Finnish War Children´s Recollections about Swedish Foster Families. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Paksuniemi, M. 2015. Finnish refugee children´s experiences of Swedish refugee camps during the Second World War. An International Journal of Migration letters, 12 (1), 28-37.
- Paksuniemi, M., Määttä, K. & Uusiautti, S. 2015. Childhood in the shadow of war: filled with work and play. Children´s Geographies, 13 (1), 114-127.
- Paksuniemi, M. & Pannula Toft, P. 2014. Finnish War Children in Denmark. The International Journal of Evacuee and War Child Studies. 1 (11), 33-40.
- Paksuniemi, M. 2014. Vahvoiksi kasvaneet. Lapin lapset sodan jaloissa. Turku, Siirtolaisuusinstituutti, Tutkimuksia A 45.
- Keskitalo, P., Lehtola, V.-P. & Paksuniemi, M. (toim.) 2014. Saamelaisten kansanopetuksen ja koulunkäynnin historia Suomessa. Siirtolaisuusinstituutti, Tutkimuksia A 50.